Early Childhood: Observation & Assessment explores observation and assessment instruments, as well as recommended practices and available resources for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. The content of this online course includes an emphasis on observing young children and assessing their early childhood learning environments.
Course Objectives include:
- Reflect on your own biases and learn best practice for observation and assessment of young children.
- Describe the cycle and functions of observation and assessment in early childhood settings.
- Identify a variety of observation recording instruments associated for developmental screening and program assessment.
- Learn advantages and disadvantages of each instrument in order to identify the most appropriate choice for different goals.
- Understand how to summarize and interpret observation data to assess children and programs.
- Apply observation data to planning for individual children and programs.
- Develop formats for documenting, sharing and explaining observation and assessment practices and information to parents and colleagues.
- Design a personal strategy for gathering information and keeping records in a specific early childhood setting.
VES_Early Childhood Observation and Assessment