In this online course, you will gain the knowledge and skills to implement five key core practices in your instruction that have the potential to create powerful results for students and prepare them for success in college and career. You will apply the concrete actions and characteristics of each practice to help align your instruction to state standards. Through illustrations, teacher modeling and interactive exercises, you will identify the areas of your practice that are strong, and those that need to be further developed. By the end of this course, you will have designed lesson plans that incorporate each of the five Core Practices in order to effectively integrate them into your own instruction.
Research has shown these specific practices to be very high impact, aligned to state standards and linked to positive outcomes, specifically showing how high school students can be best prepared for college and career. The five Core Practices of the Insight Core Framework are:
- Core Practice #1: Know the Discipline Well
- Core Practice #2: Prioritize Evidence over Opinion
- Core Practice #3: Grow and Improve Students' Knowledge Base
- Core Practice #4: Assess Progress towards Mastery
- Core Practice #5: Promote Intellectual Risk Taking and Persistence